Well, a big hello to anyone who is still around after my long absence from this little space. Life with two kiddos certainly has kept me much busier than I anticipated, but I wouldn't change it for the world! So, my post title "anticipation;" hubby and I are in a difficult phase of life where everything is busy (kids, work, kids, family stuff, kids, kids). Anyway, it is has been pretty tough to even get date night scheduled, other than a quick dinner. So, back in early May of this year I told dear hubby that we were going to go to the fall hangar dance and I was going to make a dress. Guys, it took me all summer to make this dress, I finished it up just a few days before the dance. Not that this dress is difficult in any way, but I'm just really short on time lately. But seriously, let's not dwell on what I don't have, let's celebrate because I sewed a dress in 2016!
Now for the dress. The pattern is Butterick 6282, which is a reproduction pattern from 1941. While the dress is totally appropriate for the event, I will admit that I don't love the pattern. I was drawn to the simple, utilitarian style and the fact that it was button front, but very different from most shirtwaist dresses. However, before making the pattern, I knew that I hadn't seen any versions of this dress that I liked, including the photos that Butterick used to promote the pattern. All of the excess fabric in the bodice and the voluminous sleeves didn't quite work for me. All that aside, I made the dress anyway because it was a pattern that I had on hand and I had a fabric that I thought was a good match to the pattern.
I used a wool and silk blend suiting fabric for this dress. I think the fabric worked perfectly for the pattern, it makes this dress more of a fall and winter dress. I kind of needed something like this in my wardrobe since nearly all of the dresses I have sewn are bright pink or purple florals. The only adjustment I made was to take out the pleats in the sleeve cap. Originally, I sewed up the dress as given, but when I put it on, the sleeves were just way too much for me. I felt that even with shoulder pads, it just wasn't the right silhouette on me. All I did to change the sleeve after detaching it was simply cut the top portion of the sleeve off, following a bell curve of a typical sleeve. With this adjustment made, the sleeve still fit really well into the armhole of the dress with no additional alterations.
The dress naturally has a very "blousoned" bodice, but it is accentuated a bit on my dress by the fact that over the four months that it took me to construct the dress, I had lost some weight. Oh well, that just means I should have a dress that will fit well when I have another baby (not in the works yet, but definitely a future possibility). While I'm still a bit unsure of how I feel about the bodice of this dress, I will say that I love the skirt portion of this dress. The box pleat in combination with the a-line skirt is the perfect amount of fabric for a flattering shape. I'm thinking about making a skirt from this pattern in the future. (You know, when I have time, haha).
|My favorite photo from our highly anticipated date night!|
Okay lovelies, that's all I've got to say about this dress. I hope to get my act together and get some other posts up soon. I have a nearly finished sweater (that I started a year ago), as well as a sweater that I finished just before my son was born last year.
I will say, that finding time to be creative has been such a blessing. I know that I need some creativity in my life, but I am content just to find bits and pieces of time here and there as long as it eventually results in something. Until next time!