Thursday, October 23, 2014

Chocolate McCalls 6891


I am so excited about my most recent make!  I've been wanting another shirtwaist dress since the one I made almost two years ago.  This time I used McCall's 6891, which is in my opinion the perfect shirtwaist dress.  I find this dress to be really flattering with the neckline and open collar as well as the a-line skirt.


This dress also has long sleeves!  I have never had a dress with long sleeves, and this is such a critical need in my wardrobe since I live in Minnesota.  I must be a real shorty because I had to shorten the sleeves by over 2 inches, and they are pretty much the perfect length now.


It's funny that in the instructions, it says that this is the perfect three hour dress.  Three hours?  This dress took me much longer than three hours to sew.  Now I did french seam just about everything, hand stitch a blind hem, use hong kong seams on the sides, and basically make the inside even more lovely than the outside.  But still, there must be some super speedy seamstresses out there.


I have had this brown cotton in my stash for four years!  Yes, shortly after I made my very first dress, I bought this fabric in the hopes of making a 1950s dress.  While I never got around to making that 1950s dress, I am delighted that I saved the fabric for this dress.


I love the fit of this dress and how easy it is to wear.  I see myself wearing this a lot this fall, especially with different color belts to add a pop of color.  A chocolate brown dress is the perfect backdrop for adding a pop of color.  What color would you pair with a chocolate brown dress like this?

Annabelle

16 comments:

  1. Oh how lovely, Annabelle. You seriously are getting prettier and prettier with every blog post - no joke.

    I do love your long sleeved shirt dress, too. :D I'd never think to sew with brown, but I bet it's a great wardrobe staple now. Oh look, just spotted that pink (red) hem tape. What a fun pop of color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, what a sweet comment, it means a lot coming from a lovely lady like yourself. (Though I feel like the fall sun is universally flattering on everyone). Guess what, my husband hates that it's a brown dress! I told him I would try to make it in another color someday, but for now, I love brown :) I want to find a cranberry colored belt to go with the hem tape.

      Delete
  2. That is one gorgeous dress and you look amazing in it! I was just thinking how handy shirt dresses could be next year so I'll have to try and remember this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that I feel a bit amazing in this dress, thank you :) The one shirt dress I had got worn all the time this past year, so you need at least one.

      Delete
  3. The dress is lovely. Love the hem tape. You might be able to accessorize it with a yellow scarf or maybe a cream background paisley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I love the idea of a yellow scarf, or a cream background paisley. You are always full of great ideas Linda :)

      Delete
  4. Ooh, what a lovely shirt dress, it has the perfect big collar! And such beautiful photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alessa! I'm a huge fan of the collar, I like the way it lays so much better than the other shirt dress that I made. Seeing the trees start to change colors was my motivation for finishing up this dress, I wanted to take advantage of the beauty of nature this time of year.

      Delete
  5. You look absolutely STUNNING!!! Seriously, work it girl!! I love the cuff details, and the V-neck on this dress, so pretty - it's definitely perfect, and you are modeling it just so well!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my favorite piece from my fall wardrobe, and my favorite set of pictures as well. The colors on the tree were perfect. Thank you for your always sweet comments :)

      Delete
  6. That is a lovely dress...almost tempts me to get over my fear of buttonholes...you look great in it to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is one of my favorite dresses that I have ever made. Button holes are not that bad! Does your sewing machine automatically do them? If so, then they are really easy. If your machine does not automatically do them, it takes a few tries to get the perfect size on some test fabric, but it's still pretty easy. Good luck ;)

      Delete
  7. Your dress looks amazing! I am just about to start this project. I took the 3 hour thing to be 3 hours to getting the perfect fit using their tissue fit procedure (but I could be wrong). Hope my dress turns out as great as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You could be absolutely right about the three hour theory, I didn't think of it that way since I never do a tissue fitting. (I'm too afraid I will destroy the tissue paper in the process, making a muslin is a much safer route for me). I bet your dress will turn out fabulous, I can't wait to see it.

      Delete
  8. Help! I'm trying to see this easy dress and I'm so lost. You look gorgeous! I'm having trouble figuring out the collar. None of the pieces seem to be matching up correctly. I am so disappointed because I wanted to make a few of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, I will see what I can do to help you out. I'll send you an email.

      Delete