Thursday, January 22, 2015

Congratulations Vicki Kate!


Dearest Vicki Kate, today is the day that some of your blogging friends have decided to throw you a surprise baby shower!  A whole group of us have been plotting and scheming for a few months, thinking of you and your soon to be new bundle of joy.

Of course there will be no games of toilet paper diapers or guess the baby food.  The virtual world also limits the ability to provide a table of yummy goodies - though I may be munching on my current weakness of chocolate covered pretzels as I compose this post.  However, there is one traditional aspect of a baby shower that will be included in this shower - gifts!  Yes, we have all been setting aside hours of unselfish time to make something especially for your baby.


When I set out to make a gift, my plan was always to make a gender neutral cardigan and sew on pink or blue buttons at the last minute before mailing it.  Then I decided that your little one deserved a sweater made just for him or her - so as I result I knit two cardigans.  A blue and cream one if you have a boy and a purple and cream one if you have a girl.

The little boy cardigan is made from a bamboo cotton that washes up so soft and wonderfully.  I love this yarn because you can throw the cardigan in the wash machine and dryer - not needing to worry about handing washing, special detergents, or laying flat to dry.  With a baby, it's nice to just throw things in the wash and treat it like all of the other cotton onesies and receiving blankets.


The little girl cardigan is made from a purple cotton yarn that I received from a friend.  I have been holding onto the yarn and saving it for something special because the color is so lovely, then I decided what would be a better project than a gift for a dear friend?  I tried so hard to find purple or cream buttons to match, but luck would not have it so I settled for grey because I've always liked that way that grey and purple compliment each other.


So Vicki, as you can see I have two sweaters waiting for your little one.  As soon as I hear the news of a boy or a girl, I will be sending out your baby's gift.



For those of you who are curious who else is participating in this little scheme, here is a list of the lovely blogs:

Being Frank
Dottie Doodle
Ginger Makes
Modern Vintage Cupcakes
Symon Sez
Thread Carefully

Annabelle

14 comments:

  1. I'm lost for words. You organised all of this for me?! I was blown away when you said you'd like to make something for bump, I never in a million years expected anything like this!!
    Boy is looking at me as if I'm nuts - I said I was coming into the office to do a bit of work before the school run and I've opened my email to notification after notification!
    Thank you so much for your generosity in time and for organising all of this. I don't know what else to say! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all of this was organized especially for you! We love you Vicki dear and are so excited for your little one to arrive :)

      Delete
  2. These are gorgeous cardigans Annabelle! Thank you again for organising the shower, it was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was so much fun to work with everyone!

      Delete
  3. Awww these are so cute!! :-) That is such a neat idea, making one in each colourway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly didn't make the deadline myself, but I'm glad I had everyone's accountability to help me finish in time.

      Delete
  4. These are both gorgeous! Thank you for organising this, it's so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was fun to organize, but knowing that we got to surprise Vicki was the best part!

      Delete
  5. These are so beautiful! Absolutely love them! Thanks again for organizing! I had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you had fun, I admit that I was really excited to check my blog this morning to see Vicki's reaction :)

      Delete
  6. OMG you are so amazing - I can't believe you knit TWO sweaters - what a super idea!!! Not to mention they are absolutely perfect - you are so talented! ^_^ Thank you for being so awesome & organizing this - you're the best!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm not that amazing. The yarn is a bit larger gauge than I am used to knitting with, so they worked up pretty quickly. This was one of the most fun things I've done with this blog space thus far, so I will have to do more things like this in the future ;)

      Delete
  7. Thank you for organising this, I have had so much fun...never been involved in a baby shower before

    I'm loving your his and hers cardigans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, this was a lot of fun! I've been involved with a lot of baby showers lately, even surprise showers, but certainly no virtual showers.

      Delete